First League games are due to be played on Saturday 16th September
15th August 2017
The fixtures for the forthcoming season are now on the Fixtures Page. If there are any Major concerns please let me know asap.
- First League games are due to be played on Saturday 16th September.
- This year the fixtures for the Open League have been generated in a random manner. Apologies to those teams that have 5 away games, while some teams have 4. Next year will be, as far as possible, a simple swap of this years fixtures.
- The 3 week rule for playing matches has been dropped, and Captains are just asked to arrange the matches as close to the fixture date as possible. Hopefully this means within 2 or 3 weeks, even if it means playing with less than 4 players. Playing before the fixture date is great !
- The Fischer increment, and the delayed timing way of clock control, is happening more and more. Although it is not practical to implement this immediately, it was agreed at the AGM to encourage clubs to try it in internal competitions and Cumbria matches. More details will follow before the start of the season.
2nd August 2017
Cumbria Chess Constitution 2017
The updated Cumbria Chess Constitution can be seen here and on the Library Page.
28th July 2017
July 2017 Grades
The July ECF grades have now been issued and can be seen on the ECF Grading page.
The Top 8 grades
|Karampatos, Stavros||Carlisle Austin Friars||187|
|Phillips, David A||Windermere||181|
|Green, Michael L||Carlisle Austin Friars||180|
|Mackenzie, Matthew A||Barrow||180|
|Jones, Tamsin||Carlisle Austin Friars||173|
25th July 2017
Lancashire defeated Cumbria in the Under 160 section by 8 games to 4 at the Reform Club, Lancaster on Sunday 23rd July.
The full results can be seen here and on the County Chess Page.
21st July 2017
Correspondence Chess by Email
Note from Dave Cole:
If enough interest is shown by Cumbria players wanting to take part, Yorkshire have offered a trial match. A team of 8 players are required for Cumbria, so hopefully we can field one.
(Fred Clough already plays for West Wales A – the 2017 Division 1 Ward-Higgs Competition winners).
All you need is an email address with full name and players will be registered.
21st July 2017
English Rapidplay Championship
The English Rapidplay Championship will be held at the Cunard Building, Liverpool on the 23rd & 24th September. All details can be seen here.
18th July 2017
Cumbria Chess AGM Minutes 2017
The minutes for the 2017 AGM can be seen here. The Accounts for 2016-17 can be seen here. Both can be seen on the Library Page. The new constitution is to follow.
1st July 2017
Cumbria Chess AGM 2017
The following are a few snippets from today's AGM -
- The 3 week rule for playing matches has been dropped, and Captains are just asked to arrange the matches as close to the fixture date as possible.
- People can play 3 games in Cumbrian matches without being an ECF member, or a Cumbrian member. After that they must be a member of both. There are no match fees payable at all, though the ruling for Juniors is different and match fees may be payable.
- It was noted that the Fischer increment, and the delayed timing, way of clock control is happening more and more. Although it is not practical to implement this immediately, it was agreed to encourage clubs to try it in internal competitions and to try it in Cumbria matches if captains and players were agreeable.
- Andy McAtear is the new grading officer.
- The Cumbria individual is to be a 'closed' congress. Non Cumbrian members cannot enter. It will be played as much as possible in a 'central area'. The next one may happen in the Keswick - Penrith area.
- The Team Rapid event played for the first time last season will be repeated this season, possibly at Eamont bridge, Penrith.
Paul Rivers receiving the Open Trophy for Carlisle.
The full minutes, and the new Constition will be issued shortly.
26th June 2017
Cumbria Chess AGM 2017
The following was sent today from our Secretary Jonathan -
Dear Club Secretaries & Officers
At the AGM next Saturday, the Association will be looking for new volunteers to fill the posts of County Grading Officer and County Juniors Manager. I believe that all the other officers are prepared to continue.
If you are aware of any of your members who might be prepared to take on either of these roles please contact them or me ahead of the meeting.